Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Many of us have read the Jack O'connor articles that he published over the years.

Jack put alot of time and effort into the promotion of the Winchester 270, yet he had large caliber rifles for large game too.

The puzzle of the time back then was selection of bullets too get the expansion and harvest that Hunters wanted to see,,, a small selection of bullets is all they had too work with. The 30-06 cartrage was in the same boat with limited selections too chose from back in the day.

Thanks to Hornady, Speer and Winchester along with other manufactures more and more quality bullets showed up, this added quality too lighter cartrages capabilities too.

My Pops got first hand in field results with these new bullets from 1954 long after the war too 1977 when he hung up the rifles,,, my older brother carried on threw those years as I joined in by 1979/80.

My generation seen many more bullets advancements, and its been improving every year since.

I've shot many factory loads and re-loads like other folks, we experimented with pricey and frugal bullets of all kinds, funny thing is that some of us went back to old semi pointed blunt noise as others picked round or pointed too getter done.

When we hear that Wack sound and see the damage done on impact,,, we know we have things working.

Same loads with impacts on different critters, ranges and placement all give us signs of what's working and what's not. "hopefully" with out having too track too far in retrieving.

Today we like too add a fraction of over kill as it allows us deflections of terrain or a steady hand,,, sometimes both.

At times I wonder if I should of kept my 338 or 375 as they really put it out there at distance beyond the 300, 400 ++ mark.

Now days we keep it close as we've limited our distance like the old days. 70 too 140 yards,,, ok. 200+ if needed. Past that we just smile and wait for better options.

Don't get me wrong as each of us choose what works for us. Yes I really like shooting ranges and I still practice long shots mostly by hand "after I confirm target placement off a solid bench or by-poles.

My harvest days are limited, a 1 cartrage big and small game rifle is now a reality. Sure there is a 22 and 12gauge in the mix, but 1 furry critter unit will have to do the tasks that 5 units once did.

This question has been asked time and time on this forum and many others about the one rifle for all.

The idea that Jack O'connor mentioned way back then is still true today.

"What cartrage will suit all the game one chooses to harvest in the area where he/she lives, the size of game and terrain might be factors in this. Purhaps it is the person and their abilities that determine what cartrage best suits their own unique needs for those hunts / I'll use the word harvests." Ha.

Still nice to know that today's new bullets and cartrages are keeping pace with advancements that our folks seen in their days.

Only sharing on where old school 30 caliber might be in years too come or go.

Don