Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I get your point but that is a futile attempt to make the CM into something it is not. As good a cartridge as it may be, you have placed a lightweight target cartridge in a middleweight hunting class and terminal effects will show that rather quickly.
It stands to reason that if you want to deliver a heavier payload you can expect some additional recoil and if recoil is a concern, as it appears to be, sticking to the lightweights makes sense .. but your quarry has to be chosen accordingly. As to trajectories, they can easily be compensated for.
Are you suggesting a 6.5 Creedmoor is not a capable hunting cartridge? Lol!

I used the Creedmoor vs the 308 as an example, but this thread is about how the 30cal stands up against 6.5 and .284 calibers nowadays. There isn't an animal on the North American continent that requires a 30cal minimum to kill. The benefits of today's bullet construction is that we can get the job proficiently done using smaller caliber bullets, in a cartridge with less recoil. The performance of a 143gr 6.5 projectile or a 175gr .284 projectile in today's bullets is very impressive. I was lucky enough to get my bull moose draw this year, and if I don't get to harvest one with my bow, I'm going to shoot it with my 6.5 Creedmoor (if it's finished being built by then) and prove my theory.

PS, I have no problem handling the recoil of my 300wsm in a Sako finnlight, however I much prefer to shoot my 280's, and I bet the Creedmoor will be even more fun to shoot.

Last edited by Kurt505; 08-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.