Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Are you suggesting a 6.5 Creedmoor is not a capable hunting cartridge? Lol!

I used the Creedmoor vs the 308 as an example, but this thread is about how the 30cal stands up against 6.5 and .284 calibers nowadays. There isn't an animal on the North American continent that requires a 30cal minimum to kill. The benefits of today's bullet construction is that we can get the job proficiently done using smaller caliber bullets, in a cartridge with less recoil. The performance of a 143gr 6.5 projectile or a 175gr .284 projectile in today's bullets is very impressive. I was lucky enough to get my bull moose draw this year, and if I don't get to harvest one with my bow, I'm going to shoot it with my 6.5 Creedmoor (if it's finished being built by then) and prove my theory.

PS, I have no problem handling the recoil of my 300wsm in a Sako finnlight, however I much prefer to shoot my 280's, and I bet the Creedmoor will be even more fun to shoot.
No, I am not suggesting that at all. What I am suggesting is that there are far better choices than the CM as a hunting round, even in .264 cal. Delivering minimum payloads in any caliber is not a great choice regardless of bullet choice IMO. There are a variety of new bullet choices available in all calibers these days so nothing has really changed in favor of the lightweights. If there is a viable alternative to bullet displacement .. all else being equal, I have yet to see it. Recoil notwithstanding.