Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Well right here you say the 6.5 Creedmoor is a lightweight target cartridge that will be futile as a middleweight hunting cartridge, so.....

It's obvious you don't understand what's going on here. I imagine you feel the 308 with a 168gr bullet is a perfectly capable middleweight hunting cartridge right? Even though I just posted the actual ballistic performance of both the 308 in a 168gr bullet and the 6.5 Creedmoor in a 143gr bullet, where it shows the 6.5 Creedmoor having more energy at the 500yd mark, you still feel it's not adequate as a middleweight hunting cartridge.

You don't seem to grasp the technology behind today's modern bullet design, the benefits of long slender bullets with their ability to retain more energy during flight and open up wider wound channels because of their longer pedals when they open up on impact.

I'm not saying a 6.5 Creedmoor will out preform a 300 magnum, I'm saying with today's bullets you don't need a 300 magnum to kill any North American animal because a 6.5 Creedmoor will quite handily do the job.
Kurt .. I think I have a pretty good handle on cartridrge design, SD's, bullet technology, bullet momentum, penetration,terminal performance etc. I don't consider myself an expert by any means but I have been around the block a few times with a fair number of cartridges handloaded over 60 yrs under my belt and quite a number of animals on the ground over the same period... so I do have opinions.
Never did I say the Creedmore could not do the job. I said there were better choices in .264 cal. Never did I suggest you need a .300 Mag to do the job either. Quite frankly, I don't use a magnum cartridge in any flavor on anything. That's a choice I made considering my own personal use.
As to the Creedmore having more retained energy at 500 yds than a .308 Win. 168 gr, I think that part requires a bit more research at your end regarding the most suitable cartridge of the two as a choice for BG at that distance. Personally,I don't think either one is a good choice. Just MHO.
I honestly wish you Good Luck Bowhunting your Moose this year but I really look forward to you nailing it at 500 yds with you new CM.
I got my Antlered Moose draw as well. Mr. Whelen will be coming with me.