Thread: 30 cal???
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 07:36 PM

My comment of 50/50 was about better performance of the 260 Remington that the author did not give it credit for.

The wild bore culling thing is a small fraction of a cartrage,,, bullet selection, terrain and distance that play factors in this

I'm sure a old school 308 would see its challanges too.

Purhaps this is why there are 200+ well known cartrages and 6000+ wildcats on the planet.
There are so many trade up's & downs with each cartrage one might choose,,, I'm thinking that each firearm combination with choosen cartrage would make a difference too.

Example might be a 6 3/4 lb rifle chambered in 338 Lapua or a 6mm sheep rifle weighting 13 lbs, or built on a F Class set-up that would be challenging to pack up a mountain. Probably not the best selection.

338 Lapua would be kinda over kill on a antelope hunt, the 6mm short case not the best pick going after Bison,,, this is not suggesting that the harvest can't be done since Bella Twin took a record book Grizzly with a 22 Rimfire in 1953.
There is always compromise in "Everything."

At times I miss my 300 Weatherby Mag, 338 Winchester and a little bit of that 375 H&H. "Kinda of that is.

Stepping down to a little 30/06 "might" be considered a game changer after owning those big rock chuckers.
At times I will be thinking I'm "out-gunned."

Out-gunned too me is seeing a large furry critter that makes me think, ""do I have enough rifle too stop critters in their tracks."""

2 puzzles I've encountered bring this too reality.
A 6mm/243 Deer harvest, & working the F Class back-stop this year... "The Butt" they call it.

As we awaited the first shoots of the day at 400m's I thought those 155, 180's, 200gr bullets would rock the earth,,, they were little poofs into the clay.
At 900m's the poofs became soft.

My 30/06 loaded hot and heavy at 800m's would hardly take down a thin skin small Deer
After the red flag went up I walked to the base of the clay bank too look at the lead bullets laying on top of the soil.

Yes, this is not representation of skin and bone, but in my mind it made me realize that those magnum rifles I owned back then had more punch then what I have now.

Any-who, we all see the long range harvests on YouTube that prove my ideology wrong, maybe I should return too the 6mm/243 days.
Can I successfully harvest thick skin critters at 1 km, "maybe."
Can I do this every time, "Purhaps."

I ask my self this first,,, I'm I out gunned or not.
What critter might allow me a harvest.
Where will this harvest take place.

And what lee-way am I allowing as the main shooter or back-up.
I've always kept a small back up plan after that unsuccessful Deer harvest that when south long long ago.

There is no reason for me too not allow a fraction of over harvest.
Limit my range, load mid hot with heavy,,, and stop think before pulling the pin.

Age has trained me well, each of us learn or know this.
I'm of age that tells me I enjoy the hunt, but not the killing,,, Hunter gather is a small part in "some" of us, not all.

We pick and choose what works, hopefully it pans out and that success is there. Learning slowly has been part of who I am.

At times I get stuck with out change, but it's partly due to factors in which things did not play out in favour of what I expected happen.

It's challenging at times too brake from this mold.

Don