View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM

The debate over which brand to go with is a "Chevy vs Ford" discussion, but the decision over a flasher or a camera is much different.

Briefly, flashers are great for murky and/or deep water, while cameras work best in clear, relatively shallow waters. Most cameras have fifty feet of cable, and if the water isn't crystal clear at deeper depths, you aren't going to see a lot. I have a high quality camera (Marcum Recon 5+), and there are lakes where the camera quality is low at 8 feet.

I have a Marcum LX7 and a Marcum Recon 5+. No complaints with either; they do what they're supposed to do.

In terms of brands, like I said, it's a "Chevy vs Ford" debate. I've used Vexilar and Marcum flashers, and they both do the job. I've seen videos that show that Vexilars have a slightly better display in high sunlight scenarios vs Marcum and Humminbird, but unless you're fishing for a living, all three brands will give you a unit that will be a powerful and exciting new tool for the ice. I'd personally go with whatever brand was on sale at the time.