View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
First off I want to say this style of 3d is exactly what I envisioned when I went to my first 3d (and last) shoot. My son and I where seriously 'out-gunned' by the big boys with there target sights, 30" stabilizers, scopes and fancy bows. I appreciate the time and effort by the organizers and the ABA to bring these type of shoots. This will bring us back to the roots of 3d and what it was meant to be.

I do have some issues with the 'No rangefinder allowed' rule though. If this is suppose to simulate actual hunting conditions, rangefinders should be allowed. How many bowhunters are out in the field without a rangefinder? Not very many I bet. Lets face it we owe it to the animals we chase to know the yardage we're shooting. This is the most intimidating aspect to starting out hunters and 3d shooters. A few yards off either way, depending upon speed of the bow, means the difference between a killing shot and a wounded animal. This, I feel will really inhibit the younger generation that shooting slower bows and who have little to no yardage guessing experience. Just using a rangefinder, doesn't mean it a slam dunk X. I real life situations there's much more to it. Branches, wind, etc.

If you look at what the ASA has done in the states with the Known classes, its exploding. Mostly for the reasons I've stated. A lot of people don't have the time to practice judging yardage. They pre-range all targets, but you are allowed to bring you own rangefinder to verify that yardage. That would make it more accessible for all ages.

Just some thoughts. It may be too late to change this year or may never fly, but this is what I've experienced.

While most bowhunters do carry rangefinders...IMHO it is still in the interest, ethics and responsiblilty for bowhunters to take the time with their yardage judging...

If one ever plans to hunt elk during the rut...on foot -calling...where an blood shot eyed, elk with steam blowing out its nose covers a 1/4 mile in seconds and is in your face...most time pulling a rangefinder will only result in seeing its butt in the rangefinder as its leaving...

If a bowhunter hunts on foot at all they had better practice yardage because if they try to take time to rangefind they will miss out on a lot of oppurtunites...

A range finder class was created 3 years ago in Alberta in response to the same information and they had a grand total of 7 participants in 2 years at 6 shoots.... averaging 1 and 1/7 per shoot, so its not a real game changer for most...

It was agreed that since the bowhunter 3D shoot target ranges are within 40 yard max, and originally 3D shoots were designed for hands on practice in bowhunting scenio's whereas on foot many scenio's don't allow for time for a rangefinder...[back when bowhunting 3D was created we didnt worry about that as electronic rangefinders were not invented or perfected then...]

So it was agreed in whole that we would try the no rangefinder rule to enhance and sharpen bowhunters range skills, which was the main purpose ...second to having fun ...of the 3D original Bowhunter rounds...

What you have said with the first sentance is what these shoots are all about and the reason it was created.

Neil