View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
What would your guys opinion be on re-stocking river systems that are in bad shape? Fish stocking of flowing waters was made illegal some years back and I'm not sure why. I was told by biologists that stocking non native species is against the law(ie brown/rainbow trout) even though they are already in many rivers reproducing. . Browns were stocked in the oldman river when the dam was built. There is a small self sustaining population but I always thought it could use a boost. Even try stocking browns or rainbows upstream from the weir in Lethbridge. There are several trout holding rivers that join the oldman anyway. My point is if cutties are hurting in a river system. Stock it. Bulls hurting... stock it. Instead of closing them down boost them up. Thoughts??
AEP is completely against any non native species. Brook trout, brown trout etc. They must have some internal mandate to hate this species and only care about the fragile native species...

Time for AEP to move on. They were the ones that introduced those species and they aren't going to get rid of them now. Those species survive in some of our waterbodies better so leave them be...

As for stocking rivers I agree with doing so if a river is in tough shape. Ultimately it is primarily habitat destruction that is hurting these rivers. Many of them don't have great spawning or overwintering locations so if you want to boost fish populations they should be focusing on improving those locations. Once that is done stock a few fish to increase population quickly and wallah recovered fisheries...