Thread: gas prices
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Have the volumes changed that much in one year, probably not. I believe that the Chicago rack price has a substantial influence on the Canadian rack pricing, that being said there has only been an increase of about 15% on the Chicago rack price over the last 12 months.
That's right in line with the increases in Eastern Canada and the West Coast. That makes perfect sense considering the vast oilfields in Ontario and the lower mainland.

Maybe the Canadian petroleum producers that supply the prairie provinces can have a petroleum jelly dispenser installed next to the card reader at the fuel pumps. That way when we get bent over it won't hurt near as much. Since petroleum jelly is essentially a byproduct, it shouldn't add much of a premium to the pump price either.

We all know that the retailers have a fairly negligible profit margin based on rack pricing, so who sets/controls/manipulates/inflates the rack pricing in the prairie provinces? It couldn't be the oil companies could it?
Rack price is set and then there is a delivery charge on that.

You mention current Chicago rack is $2.983

Adjust for gallons to litres = US $0.788
Adjusted for currency US to Cdn = $1.02

Then we add on taxes as mentioned over $0.40/litre. We appear to be paying below Chicago.

I pointed out how much oil companies are making. Can't explain that any clearer. Do you want oil companies to make no profit? All the major oil company's financials are listed. If you show me one company that is making an obscene rate of return I will either join you in asking why at the same time consider investing...but more likely asking why.

I showed company data that proves they are making far less profit margin than McDonald's, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Home Depot, CNRail.

We are not Venezuela so please let me know what I am missing. What companies are being unfair based upon facts please. Not just common annoyance about wanting to get something cheap. I know we all want a deal...I am no different.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-24-2018 at 03:49 PM.