View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 12:47 AM

224MV, I have an honest question for ya as obviously you know of what you speak.

Given the fact that Slough Shark posted that all the plastic housing surrounding the clutch was melted, do you really think a failing clutch bearing could generate that much heat prior to failure? I’m honestly sceptical.

I’ve burnt out a few clutches over the years. None of which were catastrophic. Just wear and tear. Obviously, the clutch bearing is lost. That’s a no brainer.

I’ll stand by my hypothesis of friction induced heat causing the failure because over many years I’ve almost burnt down a few saws and a couple of chippers. Metallic material and super stringy stuff like caragana tend to get wound up in moving parts and become a colossal PITA. The risk of ignition with the oil soaked crud built up within the entire chamber around the crank most certainly exists.

An external and conductive heat source interacting with the clutch mechanism would explain the melted casing (plastics engineered for high heat applications) and a failed clutch bearing.

If it was the the bearing itself, I’d be extremely concerned that that heat energy transferred down the crank and damaged the internals. It’s not a short trip.

Interesting discussion.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk