View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
224MV. You obviously know saws, but I must respectfully disagree with your opinion here (please keep in mind that this opinion is worth exactly the cost of the paper it’s written on. Lol)

If you look at the clutch pic again, you’ll see the broken off piece at approximately the 1:00 position. You should also take note of the heavy pitting on the edge of the clutch drum, yet the internals are perfectly unscathed. A pure bearing failure would look different, no? Blowing up from the centre...

Further, if you look closer at the scratches at the 10:00 position of the crank casing, you’ll notice how deeply the cuts are and how the plastic has been ripped upwards violently TOWARD the crank. That’s not even mentioning the other damage. Classic evidence of something metallic being wound in and around a crank shaft.

I’ve pointed SS to a quality dealer I’ve had over 20 years of dealings with as a ‘Hail Mary’. With all that being said, it most certainly doesn’t mean that the damage is directly related to the clutch failure. But it sure as hell gives the dealer a damn good reason to not honour the warranty. Hopefully it works out. Ultimate though, the evidence clearly suggests that something ugly got sucked through that saw. It happens. I’ve done worse. Haha.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only thing I can see at the 1:00 position is the grove that sits on the arm to turn the worm gear for the oiler. Could you elaborate on what your seeing? Perhaps I'm missing something.

On my saw the clutch parts are made of a hardened steel so it would make sense that there would be little damage to those parts if the bearing failed. It would force the needle bearings out towards the plastic like shrapnel. It does look like the clutch overheated, judging by the bluish colors in the steel I would estimate somewhere between 275*C to 300*C depending on what steel is used. The springs likely have lost their temper which could have added to the failure if it somehow forced the clutch to be off balance.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."