Thread: ...............
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Default Think again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
From your own quote:
"Further, 16,716 resident bowhunters hunted in mule deer in 2011 (under the general archery season). This compares to 13,454 succesful applicants in the antlered mule deer special license (- rifle season, out of 64,519 applications). This shows that there are more hunters utilizing the general bowhunting antlered mule deer opportunity than are currently successful in the resident/non-resident antlered mule deer (rifle) draw system. "

So aproximately 13,000 rifle hunters (from a much larger pool) had to run the draw gauntlet to get a crack at a 1 month season, but 16,000 bowhunters could just walk on with no draws and hunt for 3 months... On the surface that seems to me to be exactly why draws need to be applied to bowhunters. Obviously, however, it would be good to know what the hunter success rates are. If bowhunters are successful 1% of the time then let them hunt all year round with no draw for all I care, but all those bowhunting shows and commercials suggest the success rate is higher. LOL
Obviously you don't bowhunt or you would realize how tough it is to harvest an animal with archery.I bow and rifle hunt but I enjoy hunting with bow a lot more.The longer season does not mean a sure thing but it gives you time to pattern and set up for many different situations.By the time November rolls around I hope to have got lucky enough to harvest a deer with a bow because when gun season opens in the area where I hunt it gets crazy with so many hunters.I understand that this happens every year so I accept that fact but it doesn't mean that bow hunters have a free for all for three months!By the way the last time I read the regs it stated you could hunt general with rifle from sep 1 to nov 30.This to me seems like a little more than 3 months to hunt with a gun so who really does have the advantage?