Thread: Arrow weight
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 AM

As mentioned by Hogie & Moose, make sure your arrows are proper spine for your draw length and weight. Once that choice is made, then practice. More than likely, you'll have less issues with properly spined arrows than worrying about the overall weight.

That being said, I'm shooting slightly heavier arrows than what I've shot in the past as a "just in case" scenario.... Heavier arrows will quiet down your shot at the moment of release and carry extra momentum at point of impact. While heavier arrows affect trajectory and pin gap, with practice anyone can shoot the heaviest of arrows with all the confidence needed.

As an example, I've always shot 70#, 29.5" length. Tried going super light (380 grains) years ago and had success while hunting (all pass throughs except when hitting large bones like a shoulder socket). After talking to some pro shops, decided to up the weight to my current 550 grains and have blown through everything I've been lucky enough to release on. Going up in weight has significantly helped quiet down my bow at the moment of release. While my current setup won't blow through everything in every situation, it's giving me the best opportunity to do so. I think I would have an issue with a BIG bull Moose's shoulder blades straight on - might punch through one side but I'm not sure about going through the offside (haven't had the chance to test this theory, and hopefully will perform a better shot than this if given the chance).

Just make sure the arrows are spined correctly and shoot straight coming out of your bow.

J.