View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A207X2 View Post
I'm genuinely surprised at that. From the time I first started hunting (55 years ago) I've always worn hearing protection when hunting, whether it's with a rifle or a shotgun. I have some hearing loss attributed to my time in the air force, so I've always worn Walkers in the field, and 3M amplified buds when hunting waterfowl. Sitting in a deer stand, they help me hear things that I don't hear even with my hearing aids installed.
I have been hunting for over 50 years myself . I have
hunted with many people over the years, in four provinces, and two states, with friends, family, and with
outfitters, and not one hunter wore hearing protection for big game. A few people wear electronic muffs at skeet, and they complain about noise when it's windy. I wear molded plugs with valves for skeet and sporting clays,
but I had to cut the string off of them as it transmits static noise when you move. A couple of friends also use molded plugs, and they also removed the strings. I use molded foam for waterfowl, because a person is exposed to up to a hundred shots or more in the A frame, and people may shoot over you.
The people that tell me that they wear hearing protection for big game, typically are younger and use brakes, or their hearing is already damaged.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-16-2024 at 08:28 AM.