View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
Looking for ideas to prevent holes from freezing. I mainly fish with tip ups and with these cold temps I would rather stay in my nice warm shack then out clearing ice. I was thinking cutting up some old foam mats and putting them over the hole but not sure how well it would work.

tips and tricks would be helpful.

Thanks
I have taken a sheet of Styrofoam SM cut it so the pieces were bigger than my 10" holes (here larger is better for very cold weather) My largest ones are 2'X2'. You can leave them square or cut them round as you prefer. (You can also make them smaller if that works better for you.

I then melted a hole in the center just larger than the shaft of my tip ups, I imagine you could also drill this as well.

Then I cut a slot from the outside to the center hole, again just wider than the shaft of the tip up with a sharp razor knife. Be sure to keep the thin strip of insulation. This leaves you with a key hole if you will in the styrofaom which you can use to slide your tip up in. Then you squeeze the thin strip of insulation back in the slot just about sealing the tip up in.

The Cabelas black ones work ok as well but the Styrofoam SM insulates much better and certainly in very cold weather the SM out performs.