View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
If you don't mind purchasing online, you could try Icky Fly Works. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to retailers, but a quick search should do the trick for you. The flies are made from a local Calgary guy and he ships same day or next day.
Thanks for Icky, looks good and local too!

I don't think posting links for someone to find a retailer is against the rules as long as you are not advertising yourself. Admin, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot View Post
Doc, thanks for your post. I found it extremely informative.

.....but I'm determined to figure this river out!
Same here, and thanks to everyone you are true sportsmen to help us out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
OK, this is really interesting stuff. Another question from a struggling beginner:

It seems important to get the correct amount of weight on to get the flies as close to the bottom as possible. So you have your first fly tied onto your leader, possibly a second fly tied to the bend of the first fly, where do you put the weight? Is it just the weight of the flies themselves (probably not heavy enough I assume) or do you add split shot? Does the split shot go between the flies or do you tie another piece of line onto the second fly and add some split shot at the end of this final piece of line? Am I over-complicating this or missing something? What kind of spacing would you leave between flies and weights?

Appreciate all of the advise, keep it coming!!
X2

I've used weight in many ways but have always leaned to above the flies.

I'll try some of this stuff tomorrow, MacKinnon to Jansen's.