View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
That looks like way more fun then staring down a hole in the ice

Do you fish inshore or freshwater
Besides for bait I haven’t fished any river, canals or lakes since I bought the boat. There’s some good fishing available it just doesn’t interest me like the ocean does.
Don’t get me wrong, those dorado are good eating and a great way to break the monotony on the water but it’s the big fish that lure me out there. Specifically the billfish but also the trophy fish of most species. That mahi that porter caught is getting into that category, the 42kg wahoo I got last April fits as well. I haven’t caught one yet but a 100+ lb yellowfin would get me pretty excited or a big cobia... the list goes on and on. The thing they share in common is that they’re capable of putting up enough fight you don’t know if your going to be able to land it. There’s something about hearing the clicker scream as a fish is dumping hundreds of meters of line off your reel that has become an addiction.

I like fishing for many reasons but the main thing that drags me out there and the thing that makes me willing to tolerate hours of trolling around is knowing eventually that strike will come, there will be a drag screaming, the ensuing chaos on deck as you try and clear lines and start giving chase before you run out of line and the fight that ensues is worth it. Sometimes though it’s just a baby tuna that’s only good for bait and sometimes it’s a fish like that marlin we raised that has seared it’s image into my brain. I’ll chase a fish like that for as long as I’m able to just for the privilege of seeing it... although I would of preferred to have caught it.

Tomorrow’s looking like another fishing day, if not tomorrow then Thursday for sure.