Thread: Pack comparison
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
Eberlestock isn’t even in the same league as the ones he’s considering.

To give some useful input though, I Really like my Kuiu, it is the 7200 model, carries weight really well, and I’ve had some loads in it that were pushing #150. The only thing I don’t like is that being a taller guy, the load lifter straps are a little flat. Not sure if you looked into them at all, but I just got a new kifaru that I’m quite liking.
i dunno, i haven't tried a pack that made a pack out feel good yet, i've tried some that hurt more than others that's about it, the most expensive pack i tried so far was a 'hunter specific brand like many mentioned here' and it hurt me the most so there's that

i'm gonna run a mainframe for a little while and see how that goes under weight, won't know until next season what that may be like, regular gear it's very nice so far using it on all day coyote hunts, as most packs are, i'm not getting impression it will hurt me under weight, so while i can't fully say one way or another on the mainframe loaded yet i will suggest maybe don't throw this off your list yet

i know a 'just one' with a whole ewe in it hurt me somewhat and a kifaru with same is what really killed me, a 280 dollar osprey xenith 88 packed a ewe out better than both of them, you'd do well with an arcterx bora also (the osprey just the working mans version cost wise imo)

having this small mainframe that's not a giant tank feels like it might be a hot ticket so far for the odd pack out when needed, running bat wings on mine and will use a waterproof stuff sack in the middle for the multi-day pack in events, they make two lengths of the main frame, for regular and longer torso peeps, wouldn't rule the mainframe out just yet, i feel like it might be in a different league than most of the eberlestock stuff we have been accustomed to already, i've had a few of their packs, still have an x1 kicking around, not a bad day pack gun/bow but not versatile enough to haul anything with so it's pretty much shelved, the mainframe is just as sweet as a day pack, so long as it doesn't kill me like the kifaru did with a load (which sounds like what happened to the op with the exo) then will be a good workhorse do all set up

i've become leary of the 'hunt specific' packs, the backpacking world has some pretty nice choices also, arcteryx/osprey 80-105 liter stuff with great reputations, even in hunting circles, i'm tired of the saggy squishy stuff so looking forward to a trim real frame to cinch everything up to that feels like a daypack when dayhunting etc.

everything else eberlestock then i would agree, they are well built and tough and of course a little heavier than they need to be because of that, they have one last chance with me with this mainframe