View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 01:41 PM
AO Sponsor

All white chinooks i ever caught were on the Skeena, still a very pale tinge of red. Caught plenty of them fishing mid july. I am convinced they are a drier eating fish with less oil than any red of equal size. However, one white that i caught stands out in my mind, it had white flesh, was more like a chum than a chinook. Was quite the anomaly.

Been fishing the island, Hardy and WH... 100% red flesh... gotta like that!!!

Friends in Terrace blindfolded their buddies and themselves to perform a taste test of reds vs whites and claimed nobody could tell the difference. However, i wasnt there! Now im not convinced there is a taste difference, but there is most certainly a consistency difference of oils in the flesh of the two. Red is succulent with max oil and whites have less oil.

I ate enough Skeena chinooks over a 10 year plus period to feel i can have a qualified opinion!

ps... i sure hate the way the processors fillet, thin lightning fast fillets then trim off the bellies and throw the best part of the fish in their oil bucket$$$$$$. Full steaks = max yield. Cook nice too/couple bones.