View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
In a perfect world Trev I agree with you but I've been on more sheep kills than I care to count and many of the shots have been over 300 yards. I just think that for someone building a dedicated sheep rifle, why not take advantage of some of the new calibres that make the odds of you pulling that shot off a whole lot better. Speed is your friend when shots stretch past 250 yards. Not saying you couldn't do it with the 7mm08 but it's a whole lot easier with more velocity. Judging a sheep at 500 plus yards through a spotting scope is no more difficult than it is at 50. If you aren't sure....don't shoot! But why not utilize the most up to date technology to stack the odds in your favour for that inevitable 300 yard shot. The question was about the "ideal" sheep rifle...not one that will get the job done.
True there....shoot all the gun you can comfortably....and something that you can shoot accuratly and you can have a lot of fun. All personal choice on guns as long as you are really comfortable with it.

I agree judging sheep at 500 aint a pile different than at 50...I find it easiest at about 300 yards to judge. And like you, I'd never really shoot at a ram over 400 anyways so all is good with my 7-08. And ya....I guess 'ideal' is all personal choice...heh. For me...my 7-08 is ideal....

Stinky, not sure what mine weighs....havent weighed it yet.....

I guess my main point on the thread was since I know your skill level on sheep, its much more important to get out there and get in the mountains and learn about sheep before worryin too much about the rifle.....as a beginner I think there are more important things to worry about....