View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If testing is required for handguns, it should also be required for long guns, as each requires some skill to be proficient with, and each can be misused. Would you be willing to be tested with a long gun before being allowed to purchase a license to hunt with a long gun? I an thinking a 100 yard target for rifles, and a round of skeet or sporting clays before being allowed to hunt birds with a shotgun. If you aren't willing to undergo the testing yourself for long guns, then you shouldn't be asking people to undergo testing before being allowed to hunt with a handgun.
I have no problem having to pass some testing. I had to pass a hunter training course to be able to get my first set of tags.

Other countries make people pass a shooting test before they are issued a license. I don't think we should necessarily go down this road, but perhaps new licenses should. Like I said before we test drivers, doctors and trades people. Why not shooters. My line of thinking is I want to be able to keep my guns and if I can prove that I am able to shoot, and am safe with my guns, then you need to stay out of my life, and let me hunt, fish and be merry.

However I am fully ready to stand behind any proposed legislation to permit hand gun hunting. Where is the petition?