Thread: Furled Leaders
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs
you can watch this guy build one, looks real easy. Then if you read the comments you can decide if you'd like to try. I use the bought tapered and when I ran out of the tippet, I just tie in a new piece of tippet. Reading some of the comments about perforance I might build and try though.
I tried that way and it kind of sucks because it takes forever and produces a fairly loose furl. Also when you double it over to make your butt section, you only have four strands which I found to be pretty limp. If you were to double it over again it would be 8 strands going to 4 strands which might make for a bit of a wonky taper.

The method that was in the Hatches magazine was pretty easy and had a nice taper because it went 6 strands, 4 strands, 2 strands and then 1 strand tippet. The only part I didnt like about it is you're building each section seperate and looping them together.

The way they depicted it was looping your line back and forth from a hook in your vice and a hook in a drill chuck. The number of times you loop back and forth determines how many strands will be in that section. So twist the lines together untill it's pretty taught, hang a weight in the middle of it to keep tension, carefully fold it in half and then carefully release the tension to let the lines furl together, thats one section. Each section will have small loops in each end that you can use to join them together.

To be honest, even with the sections joined by loops, it turns over quite nicely. Although, I've been watching the videos of guys who make knotless furled leaders on wooden jigs and I want to try that next. Just need to build a jig...