Thread: Russian Hook
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
X2. Ice fishing, Big rainbows gulp the 2 inch russians. Whites and perch love them. They work good if you can hang them sort of horizontally on your line with the nose a little down.
I've always found their strength to be that they sort of glide out to the side on the drop, often the bite comes as the lure slowly swings back underneath the hole. As well when "twiddled" they rock back and forth, not necessarily the only lure that does these things, but one of the great classics for sure.

I spent some of my childhood in Michigan, where apparently these things first appeared in North America, coming over from eastern Europe with the migrants that worked in the sugar beet processing plants, as local lore has it. Apparently for a good many years the Russian hook was a jealously guarded secret, and the locals spent many a day getting outfished and extremely frustrated before they finally figured out what the Russians were using.