View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
Yes Brad, because I can, and many others can not.
I practice with with my rifles year round. I am capable of consistent sub moa shots well beyond the 1 mile mark, furthest witnessed and confirmed shots to date 2700 mtrs. I have a range that I own that has 4 miles from bench to backstop, so distance is NOT an issue for me. I have hit 45 gallon drums, (3stacked into 2 supporting the third so the top 1 could be seen) 3 or 4 out of 5 shots on numerous occasions at 2.5 miles, but would never even consider shooting anything live with a hit ratio that poor. This I do just for fun, and to see if or when I can ever connect 5 for 5 at that distance.

I know Rob Furlong, imagine what he could have done with a "truly accurate" rifle???? The Mac Tac50 is a decent rifle to be sure, but understand it has far looser tolerances by necessity than my target rifles do.

Your weight estimate and OAL rifle estimate is close, but you need to double the ammo cost. Matchgrade ammo for a 50 runs north of $15.00 per round.
I do NOT lug it around, normally only about 100 yards from my truck, then I let my skill and the bullet do the leg work.
Many would say that this is NOT hunting, it is simply target shooting animals, I suppose that is true, but none the less takes more skill than many can accomplish. I don't consider driving around , then jumping out of the truck to shoot an animal hunting, and I am NOT suggesting this is the way YOU hunt as I don't know I am just making a point here. I guess it just proves we all have different standards and ideas of what hunting is , what our budgets will allow and how seriously addicted to GSR some of us are.

Ken07
what pink mist?
This massive bird was 650 yards away when shot with my 338LAI for trying to steal my target. 1 would expect a 300 gr SMK doing plus 3000 fps would do more damage
+$15 a round, eh? That's just crazy. I thought about that for a moment, then watched my wallet spontaneously combust. And what you're talking about, long-range "target shooting animals", I'm definitely not a man to judge another guy's hunting style. I can only dream of skills like that, definitely something to see. So now, if you don't mind me asking, what would it cost the common man to build a rig like that? I would imagine at that much for match-grade ammo, per round, you must've cleared ten grand on the hardware.

And my apologies if my earlier comments seemed sarcastic. I am in awe and have some respect for someone that can shoot like that. Hopefully I can learn to get to five or six hundred yards shooting deer with a .308(My understanding is that after 800 yards, the consistency of the round itself really drops off).

Anyway, send my regards to Cpl Furlong if you would, I think that our boys over in Afghanistan are doing something important, and have nothing but support and respect to offer them. God Bless to the boys that have fallen, my thoughts are with them and their families.

Brad