View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 PM

Default moose

Frans that was a great moose, I don't know what you did to it?? LOL That's actually pretty funny.

I should do a steak cooking seminar sometime. the trick is to not over cook meat and let it rest for 10 minutes in a warm place after it's done. I cooked some elk last night (sirloin) and it was fantastic, just as tender as any beef I've had. Well except for that tenderloin we aged for 90 days...but that's another story. Do a search for salt aging steaks and try that method it's a great way to do in 20 minutes what 25 days of cooler aging will do.

Also remember that some cuts are tender and others are only good for long moist cooking because they are tough no matter what. I browned some elk shanks this afternoon and boiled them for soup, the broth is very nice and the meat is nice and tender-That's what to do with shanks you could never eat them any other way.

So the steak cuts on a moose are the sirloin,tenderloin, backstrap, top round (a bit tough sometimes). The top round, and bottom round are roasts and the rest is for braising (moist heat)or grinding.

I sympathize with you guys though and I've been lucky to have 20 years of daily practice. It's not easy to learn this stuff when you only cook occasionally.