View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 02:34 AM

knives are such a personal thing. to me all depends on what you use it for and how you hunt, if you pac hunt and carry your game out . you go as light as possible mine is a benchmade altitude always in the pack.with high visibility handles when working in the dark because you cant wait the next day in bear country and have a long trek back.i cary two knives in my pack.the other a knives of alaska alpha wolf d2 with non slip handle .using good steel and making sure its razor sharp.problem weve hade using a havelon replacable knife is when they get dull and you loose the extra blades your out of luck ,and it does take two or more blades to bone out a moose.
grohmans have hard steel that take a while to get perfect and when dull you need some experiance sharpening.all depends on what you want a knife to do. i got turned onto a buck with there new s30vn steel for a group hunt where we cleaned 5 deer in the barn and i was impressed .i love scandi grinds like moras personaly but there hunting version for 25 bucks not bushcraft ,Moras quick to touch up and if you loose it no biggie. A knife is a tool and folders get all gunked up fast with fat and blood. a caper is good for delicate work and cutting around arese hole.my knife i used were from knives of alaska but i left it dirty coming back and it got a little rust because of the d2 steel.worked good on two moose with just touch ups on the blade ,skinned, gutted, quartered and packed out .Fat and blood gets real hard in the cold fast. if you touch,hair ,hide or bone you can dull the blades so fast you would not beleive.bring also something to touch up a blade or youll get real frustrated fast. ive seen guys come to camp with the big bowies but truth for actual gutting and skinning a smaller knife is best all depends how pretty you want it.ive seen a box cutter to very fast work on deer.im looking know for a benchmade raghorn, i know crasy price,just cool looking and great steel. at the end of the season i send it and they will resharpen for free .

Last edited by dogger; 01-20-2022 at 02:41 AM.