View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Default Moose down

After an action packed week with no shots I finally connected. I've been hunting what I would call a willow basin surrounded by mature forest. I've been seeing bulls come in but have been all facing me so not good. Being in a treestand that shot is extra bad.
Sunday evening I head out with low expectations as it was very windy. I felt like my calls were falling on deaf ears so with an hour and a half left of hunting time I decide to go for a walk around the basin. I don't usually do this but I figured if they can't hear calls then they can't hear me walking around.
Very slowly I make my way to the back side of the basin, staying downwind. With a half hour left of shooting light I see a dark figure emerge from the tree line right in front of me and was going for the willows. I duck into the grass to nock an arrow and clip the release. He pauses behind a bush so I stand and draw. I waited till he showed himself and at 10 yards I let one fly into the vitals. After the shot I heard him crash so I knew he was down. Found the arrow in the dirt from a clean pass though. Double lung.
Made some phone calls and a buddy came to help with the pack job as it is foot access only. After all said and done I was in bed at 5 am. Might have been one of the bulls I saw before but hard to say. After cutting off the quarters I notice a rage hypodermic broadhead stuck high in the scapula. Looks like I'm not the first guy to take a poke at him. Glad I got him

Last edited by Passthru; 10-02-2017 at 11:11 PM.