View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
That is exactly what I mean. My left shoulder is seriously buggered up - too many accidents / breaks / dislocations over my life. I used to hunt a lot with my compound bow, but due to those injuries, today I cannot even draw it any more. Thought the stick & string hunting was over for good for me, quite distressing. Then a good buddy here in BC introduced me to a crossbow. Here, anyone can hunt with them during the regular archery season, something I got into with relish. Back in The Game as it were.

It was actually on this forum that a few mentioned there was a possible route to doing the same in Alberta. Controversial topic here it seems, for many certainly voiced dismay or concern over doing this. Nonetheless, I decided to investigate. Fish & Wildlife provided the forms (probably the same you received) which I handed over to the SawBones. Over a dozen X-rays followed, along with a lot of manual tests. Pretty much determined that yeah, that shoulder is right hooped, and no, it ain't going to get any better as long as I might live. So the forms were filled out and sent back to Fish & Wildlife stating that. Didn't much care for the "Disabled" label, but whatever, the Permit was eventually approved. And I went on a hell of a fine hunt there last year, taking the nice buck pictured below at 66 yards with my crossbow - in the regular archery season:

This year I re-applied for the crossbow permit even before the draws were conducted over there. F & W can issue the permit for one, or multiple years. Last year I received the single year version, and am hoping for the multiple year permit this year. Good likelihood as my SawBones indicated in exact wording that my shoulder will not be getting any "better" on it's own - ever.

Kind of figured I'd draw the muley rifle tag, but the moose was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Since we have the moose draw during the calling season, I've decided to do that and stay over to hunt the muley with the bow again. Sort of seems like a bit of a waste of a draw tag if I am successful in that pursuit. But I gotta admit, hunting them with the bow certainly is a LOT of Fun!!

So, I guess that rather long-winded reply is just may way of saying Yes to your questions. And to suggest you look into the possibilities with your Doc. Might be hope for you too to get back into the Stick & String Game after all...

Cheers,
Nog

Thursday my Grandfather will turn 82. He was a farmer and never had time for bowhunting. When he quit farming he took up crossbow hunting when he got his hands on an old Horton back in 2007. He killed the heck out of the local deer herd with that thing and has used it for 10 years. Every year he says "this is my last year hunting" and yet each fall he he buys a tag and goes out during the rut. He is unable to cock his crossbow so my father or my uncles cock it and verify its sighted in for him and it stays cocked until he shoots something.

My father and I want to replace that worn out old Horton with something with a hand crank so he can cock it himself and since he may actually stop hunting in a year or two, we dont want to invest a great deal but anything would be an upgrade from what he has now.

We are looking at the Killer Instinct 350 which seems like a good price point for what will get very limited use but offers the hand crank option.

Any opinions?