View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
70 in a 30 is a common speeding offence? I think that exceeding double the speed limit or 50 over is considered dangerous driving and you can have your license yanked on the spot and your vehicle towed and impounded.

LC
Actually you are wrong. You can not have your license suspected (yanked) by a police officer for speeding or dangerous driving. Police can pretty much only suspend your license for an Impaired Driving related offence. A Justice of the Peace or a Judge has the authority to suspend your license for these offences.

And yes 70 over the speed limit CAN be a common speeding offence. There would have to be out circumstances to warrant a Criminal Code charge of dangerous driving.

Now don't misinterpret fact for opinion. The above is FACT. But I agree with you. I wish the police had the authority (in Alberta) to yank a drivers license for speeding in excess of 50 kmh over the speed limit, really I do, but they don't. And I wish drivers could be charged criminally for that but they simply can't. The law is quite clear on this matter.

Here is an Alberta Government Link with some information on License Suspensions and Vehicle Seizures: http://atsb.alberta.ca/503.htm

Last edited by CraigJ; 09-12-2014 at 08:37 PM.