Thread: Flu Shots
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I think there are indidviduals in some occupations - where certain immunizations should be a condition of employment. For example, staff in nursing homes. Sometimes, the rights of the majority just have to trump the individual rights.
Perhaps a bit different, but some will recall when an air crew member we had in Kuwait during one of the dust-ups with Sadaam, refused a shot (of some kind)....claiming it was his right to do so. He was shipped home and although I never learned the outcome, assume his future was decided by courts marshall. My first reaction was perhaps the military was over reacting -- until I spoke with my son who was in Kuwait as his AC. Pretty simple for him - by failing to protect himself, the crew member created the potential to put both himself and the rest of the crew in danger.
This only works if every resident of the nursing home and all visitors also have the shot. Pretty hard to keep track of if you ask me. Same as a hospital requiring staff to have flu shots-what about all the visitors, all patients, all cleaning staff, admin staff, the cooks etc... all these people are out and about walking the halls, touching things etc. There is a difference between chemical and biological warfare and the flu. I understand the flu can also be deadly, but for most people it is not. Being in Kuwait I would suspect that the problems or chemicals in a vaccine would be the least worrisome of what he could of potentially of been exposed to.

I am still a big proponent of hand washing. Wash wash wash. Aside from before and after the washroom, you should be washing your hands when you come home from work, when you come home from running errands at the mall or grocery store etc.... every time before you eat. Must wash mine 15 times a day or more. Sneeze or cough into the sleeve or shoulder of your jacket, NOT your hand.

Last edited by Emo; 12-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.