View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
It looks like StrikeMaster and Ion spent the off season trying to copy each others products. I thought I'd put up my quick take after perusing their sites. If I got anything wrong, feel free to correct me...it's not like people have strong opinions about these things. In the end, more choices is a good thing.

StrikeMaster Lithium 40V Auger ($859.99Cdn Retail)
  • The one that didn't change with a 5Ah battery and a steel flight coming in at 24lbs.
  • This unit used to be the undisputed value leader as it would often go on promotion with a second battery included. Will that happen this season? I wouldn't hold my breath.

StrikeMaster Pro Lithium 40V Lite ($989.99Cdn Retail)
  • This is SM's attempt to catch last year's Ion G2, which outperformed it slightly.
  • Upgraded with a 6Ah and their Lite-Flight Lazer synthetic resin flight, it now matches the battery capacity of the old Ion G2 but still weighs more at 21lbs.

ION R1 ($619.99USD Retail --> ~$771.54Cdn)
  • This is the one to pay attention to as the old R1's were a tier below the top-line 40V units. But these new ones are designed to copy the base SM Lithium 40V, with a 5Ah 40V battery and steel flite with composite bottom to come in 1lb less than the SM Lithium 40V at 23lbs.
  • The battery is a Gen 1 vs. the Gen 2 technology in the Ion G2, for whatever that's worth.

ION G2 (779.99USD Retail --> ~$970.65Cdn)
  • Only one significant change this season that I can see. In an attempt to combat StrikeMaster's value advantage with the double battery promotion, ION now ships the G2 with Two 4Ah batteries. This gives the G2 33% more capacity than SM's top Pro Lithium 40V Lite, albeit at the cost of packing multiple smaller batteries.
  • The ION G2 retains its lightweight title, coming in at 17lbs.

So that's what I garnered from their web sites. I called Ardisam for Cdn suggested retail pricing on the IONs, but they didn't have it. What I got from converting looks to be fairly close after a quick check of TFH and Cabela's sites. The prices and weights refer to the 8" units. Keep in mind also that IONs still have a 3 year warranty to StrikeMaster's 2 years. Happy shopping.

P.S. - Jiffy has a new 80V unit called the Rogue due for release this season. It could be the next big thing...or it could be a dud like the E6. Stay tuned.
Thanks for compiling this. I appreciate it. Interesting review actually. I agree with how more choice and competition can be anything but good for us consumers