View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM

Sorry to butt in, Im no old pro like cat but have shot a few 10ooo rounds or so from a muzzle loader in my time.... Anybody trying this on there own a few extra tips.
It helps greatly to bite the edge of your over powder and over shot wads, it releases the air wich helps the wad from going down to tight, helps not to blow the powder into the nipple drum, or out the flash hole, especially on trade guns (big vent typically), helps if your wads seem to turn sidways in the barell. A nipple/flashhole pick is an indespensible tool, I leave the pick in my flint's flash hole when ever possible, it helps to pick a flint even if its not dirty when the main charge is loaded. It creates an airspace into the charge, and helps ignition. Talk to your welder friends and ask for a set of torch tip cleaners, they're perfect.
When I hunted or did a "grouse walk" I used tissue or news paper to premake my loads in a sort of cartridge. You twist it all up like rolling a cigarette, powder wads and shot twisted seperately. Tear the paper pour the powder, ram the wads in and seat, stuff the shot down paper and all. Its a great way to speed load and avoid carrying powder horn and measure, shot snake and measure, possibles bag full of 3 kinds of wads, etc..
Remember black powder is hygroscopic, so it actually attracts moisture from humid air, or rain down the barrel. I always shot or pulled a charge after the days hunting. Your powder will get sticky or even soft, causing misfires and hangfires. Its a good habit anyways, as I have seen more than once when capping to clear the barrel, there was a forgotten load that went off from hunting season past. This goes for caps too, if its been on the nipple all day when its damp, throw it out, they tend to soften up, misfire and plug your nipple with the resulting paste. Keep your flints clean and sharp. Dont forget the check it, its embarrasing when you have a loose flint fall out of the hammer when somebody is watching, not that I know anything about that.
If you can get your hands on the vhitavhouri brand black powder it is amazing stuff (also amazingly corrosive) But thats my personal opinion.

Last edited by flint guy; 08-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.