View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 AM

I have spent a lot of time both fishing and working out of all sizes of boats on the ocean.

Unless you are experienced I would not go out on a 14 footer. If you do go out plan an itinerary and stick exactly to it and leave the route etc. with someone who will check on you later to make sure you go back.

Many people take into account the waves when you leave but on the ocean the wave can get nasty quick and compounded with swells, rocks and tides can really ruin your day fast. Sometimes the worst waves are in the calm sheltered inlets do to rushing tide changes.

I saw a seasoned guy driving a 14 foot Lund sink it in 200 feet of water in 5 seconds. He was motoring home riding the swells and cut his speed too quickly. The wake and the swell caught up to the back of the boat at the same time and the boat was gone in a flash. No time even for grabbing a life jacket. Fortunately we knew exactly what, where and when he should be during the day and when he did not show up we back tracked his route and found him on a small rocky island. Very, very cold and very, very lucky. He was area not unlike where you think you want to go.

Take your GPS with you as well as a compass and ocean maps for bottom issues.

Any deadheads in the water will sink you really fast in a boat that size so take it easy when throttling up.

Also if you go swimming...don't swim behind the boat while barking like a seal...to many Whites down there.