Thread: Elk Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
So you personally haven’t done this but you have witnessed, meaning you were right there spotting for someone while they were taking the shot, or you came to the animal after it was down and listened to the story of how it happened? Just trying to understand what personally witnessed means in that context? Also wondering what bullet and the scenario. I don’t understand speaking in absolutes with no data explained on each scenario.

I have personally driven 147 ELDM through an elk breaking his offside shoulder and exiting at 80 yards. I have personally seen the same bullet on a quartering to shot break the onside shoulder, destroy the lungs and exit. Both did not go far.

Deer are no issue. Never have seen one “fail” to penetrate sufficiently on anything.

That load out of a Creedmoor also carries sufficient velocity to expand out to 900 yards. I’m not saying I do that although I practice. Hit rates with a light recoiling rifle out past 400 is also increased dramatically. Especially with wind.

It’s just an easy platform for anyone to shoot. The 6mm’s are even nicer.
First hand at the shooters side three times, helped drag and or skin over a half dozen critters after all the fun and games.

I don’t use and won’t use target/match bullets on game, and well let’s just say the over 150 or so big game critters I’ve harvested only a couple involved fun and games and those were attributed to me and not the bullet.

I don’t know why the violent push back, are you a share holder in a certain bullet company or something?

I’m just saying I’ve witnessed or been part of enough head scratchers and flat out holy craps with match/target bullets to come to the opinion that they aren’t a big game bullet.

There are no absolutes