View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
You can't say no Dad.

The days of thinking of yourself and the way you thought of personal glory are behind you now.
Maybe you can change to something a bit safer in rodeo but in the end...

The way forward is to revel in the love of that child and to make sure that the legacy you leave is one of being the best Dad in the world.
All the trophies and fanfare in the world won't add up to making sure she has a happy childhood as worry free as possible.

Take her fishing... teach her to play hockey... to garden and ride.

You and your family can always be proud of the past but you shouldn't dwell there when there is so much to offer you in the future and when you are so important to her and her future.
^^^Bingo!!!^^^

I would go out on a limb and say that there are lots of guys finding themselves in your kinda situation these days, myself included. A blown out lumbar back finally slowed me down enough to have an epiphany. It kinda slams a person in the chest when you start to think about all those super wild things that we used to do and all the glorious conquests of our fearless and consequence free youth and how things for our families would be affected now if we were to get hurt and perish while we were doing something wild and crazy that we loved to do and are passionate about, but are inherently dangerous activites like bull riding or maybe skiing down that crazy steep and narrow mountain chute above a 50' cliff in avalanche country or bowhunting grizzlies from the ground etc. Thinking about the repercussions took the fun out of certain 'extreme' activities for me and replaced it with worry and guilt about the "what-if's"... Glory and stories last forever anyway man, but time with our kids is absolutely priceless especially these days. Thanks for the post! -SQK