View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

I hate to call you out on it.... but I'd LOVE it if you'd direct me to these experts that say a Bowie knife is a must for bear defence.

Bush knives, like guns, do impart a bit of image projection for alot of outdoors types. I'd encourage you to carry that big knife for as long as you want in the bush...... It'll communicate alot about you, and eventually you'll learn about its usefulness...... which is little to none in my opinion.

Its like when I was young and figured a cast iron pan was an essential backpacking-back country hiking tool. It now resides at the bottom of the valley along the Goat Lake trail in Waterton. I can still hear the 'clank clank' of it careening down the mountain. Experience it an excellent teacher.

'Lions and tigers and bears.. oh my', is a great marketing tool to sell stuff. Having said that Bear spray is your best bet.

Take the advice of the majority here. Leatherman and a small fixed blade or folding blade.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."