View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
You know what, I struggled tying them too. The wing is important for the fly to keel properly.

I discovered Galloup's Zoo Cougar. I no longer fish the muddler; the zoo cougar seems to outfish it in almost every situation. It fills the same niche as a lightweight deer-hair fly that moves a lot of water for the size. I like zoo cougars on Dai Riki 710 sz2-8. They become more challenging to tie in sz2 (finding the right mallard flank to fit the fly) and sz8 (keeping the fly proportions in check). In sz6 and sz8, cutties cannot resist them either. They are great in many colours, but the classic yellow seems to drag in the most browns though.

I must admit though, the muddler scales better to smaller flies, but when I tie on a streamer I am not usually looking for subtlety.
Yes I don't know if my Turkey quill is to old and dry but it seems to want to split all the time! With that comes many swear words!
I like the looks of the Zoo Cougar, I think I'll be tying a few of those. Thanks for the tip!