View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
FL sized. Yes, pressure should be down from “normal” Dasher pressures. Before “discovering” the consistency of the 95gr Classic Hunter, I was running the same volume of powder with 105 VLD’s. I will use a Dasher for deer this year (not this barrel as it is too heavy with a 0.67 MD.
Should do the trick from what I see and the deer surly will not suffer if you do your part. As I suspected you are running a bit more HS than necessary unless the brass is getting work hardened and shoulders are springing back unevenly. You will get an accurate measurement of the excess, or uneven HS by measuring primer flow or protrusion as I have outlined earlier. As well the pressures you are running with this load are not enough to force the primers, and firing pin back enough to flatten normally as in your last picture. That primer likely looked like the first one before slamming into the bolt face. In any event you will not have any problem with this load and primers will look more normal should you decide to run a bit more powder to try and find a higher accuracy node. In that case you may be able to use primer protrusion, as I do, to determine where to stop before primers pierce but primer flattening may be a better indicator of pressure. However it would not appear that that is necessary or even desirable.

You would likely not see this in a non custom action as firing pin spring tension would be less as would be firing pin/ bolt tolerances. Keep your bolt and firing pin clean and lubricated with G 96 to keep it from getting gummy and you will have no problems.

Last edited by lclund1946; 11-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.