View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 08:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
Looking for some advice, hopefully by some locals who have real time information on status.
Planning to finish the hard water season with a trip up to cold lake (first time) bringing my boys and Grandpa.
The ideal scenario is that I am able to drive my duramax truck on the ice pulling my enclosed ice fishing trailer, so we can do our usual trailer fishing and camping on the ice like I do in southern Alberta.
Back up plan would be to bring qauds and sleds... but this is a lot more hassel and would only entertain if needed.

Questions:

Given the forecast and current state of the lake....
1. Do you expect the lake access points (marina and Prov park) to be good enough to get both on and off the ice with this set up (truck/trailer).
2. Is one lake access point better for this scenario?
3. Are the surface conditions (snow depth and quality) going to allow me to drive pulling a trailer to some decent locations? I do have chains if needed.
4. Regarding the fishing, the goal is to get my sons catching fish on the rod (too much tip up pike fishing this year). Looking for quantity and eas over size/quality. Do you fish at different depths for this?

Appreciate any realtime information and pointers.
Thanks!!
1. Cold Snap has any surface water frozen again on or near the launch edges.
28-30 inches of measured ice is what I am seeing so your set up should be good to go. Lots of big campers still out on the ice.

2. I prefer the provincial park just because the structure at the marina can heat up creating unsafe ice in and around there. Another is the MD park launch in french bay by the ski hill but I would check them all out when you arrive just to see first hand.

3. Your set up will get you on the ice easily as we have very little snow right now. Ice is thick and safe but we are forecasted for a skiff of snow which may drift in so yes to chains.

4. Myself lately have been going deep with glow tubes and spoons just to take advantage of fishing the water columns for suspended fish but most are caught in the last 30 fow on or near the bottom. Deadsticks are hit and miss lately but drop them down cuz ya never know what the bite is.

If I was you I would drill and drop more often to get an idea of whats happening below and then make a plan from there....out and around the garnet beach area into french bay mouth has some great structure to play with. Now you just gotta get the lakers to cooperate which can be a challenge somedays.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...