View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Greetings all!

OK... have googled and suffering from information overload.

I am a newbie who is having a great time learning to shoot my .22. This summer I will be picking up a general purpose hunting rifle that has reasonably priced rounds. I want something deer capable that can also stretch up to elk if I get the opportunity in a couple years.

So, I know a bunch of calibers are going to work for this and was going to go with a .308. However, I am really enjoying just shooting and would like to try some longer distance stuff if I can get an outdoor range membership next year (struggle to do around Calgary area). I have read that .270 might be a better choice for longer range and still be capable in terms of a general game getter.

Appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!

Matt
First off, good on you for putting marksmanship first - not many (myself included) did that prior to jumping into a true big game rifle calibre and chambering.

Do you have any experience shooting larger calibres? If possible, try and get some in advance of your purchase. You're looking at two excellent chamberings in the 270 Win and the 308 Win. For practical hunting purposes, they're pretty close as far as recoil (for comparable mass rifles), cartridge cost, and performance out to ~250-300 yds (out to which you may never even shoot an animal). Don't let any of the above influence your purchase.

My money goes to the .308 Win (I have a Browning 308, though I've shot a 270 and like it too). The .308 has so many bullet grain options, cartridges are easy to come by and have a wide price gradient, is a short action (270 Win is long BTW), and is a more compact setup ideal for mountain hunting (which I like).

My guess is you'll buy whichever you get to shoot or whichever the gun shop happens to have available. And that's just fine.

Best of luck.

They don't get big by being dumb.