View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks to GaryF, smitty9 and of course Sun for your efforts and common sense. I have a few thoughts...

I’ll add an11th point about why it would be good. Its success will serve as another badly needed example of what works and why we need way more of these special reg. lakes.

I think there is some validity to the fact that a high quality lake near a million people would draw more people and their associated problems. I know this because Muir which is a success, is a different kind of fishing experience due to the volume of people that fish there. That is why there needs to be WAY more delayed harvest waters. 293 stocked waters and 4 or 5 with delayed harvest is a joke. I would support 1/3 of all stocked waters going immediately to a delayed harvest. Since I am dreaming here and get to make up the rules lets start by making most of these delay harvest lakes at 16” retention and perhaps 10 lakes at 20” retention. Not very far down the road that will put a lot more fish of decent eating size in frying pans. That still leaves 198 lakes for the people who like to eat 9” fish. As acceptance and realization sets in, that could be changed later. How would this get enforced? More enforcement from dollars saved on stocking, and civic duty. I believe most people will follow the laws because it is their civic duty. Ya lots will break the rules but so what. Dollars saved can also perhaps go to larger fish being stocked and more diverse stocking. Why do I have to go to Saskatchewan to catch a tiger trout? More triploids anyone? Am I nuts?

So to get this past just blabbering on the internet, what suggestions does anyone have for a person to get more involved?