View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
According to the Zeiss data on my rifle with x7.5 magnification and a 200 yd zero, my hash marks are zero'd as follows:

Bar 3 = 301 yds
Bar 4 = 397 yds
Bar 5 = 500 yds
Bar 6 = 600 yds
Which scope do you have? If it is a 3-9x scope, it means that you have chosen a suitable reticle. Even with a 3.5-10x, that is a decent fit. If you had gone with the RZ 800 reticle, you would not come close to using the maximum magnification if you wanted to use the hashmarks.

And once again, your results depend on the data that you enter, so if you don't use the actual velocity of the load in your rifle, and the B.C. of the actual bullet, the results could vary. Velocities published by the manufacturers can easily fall 100fps or more short in individual rifles, which can be a factor at longer distances.

The worst situation is the one that I used as an example previously, where your load shoots flatter than any of the available Rapid Z reticles. You can't calibrate by adjusting magnification, so you can either attempt a band aid fix by playing with the zero range, which isn't a proper solution, or you have to look at other options than a Rapid Z reticle.