View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 06:16 PM

In 2.5 days. I'll be an early arriver at the Maligne Lake parking lot. Likely the first out. Once I'm off the dock, electric motor on full, all is quiet - often a deer or two is near the lake. And they are not spooked by my presence. The view is a flat calm and crystal clear lake surrounded by miles and miles of pine forest leading up to still snow capped mountains. You can see the reflection of all this in the mirror surface next to you. The trolling rod is in its holder. Fish are rising constantly as you slip by. You take a sip of your coffee...almost expecting that is the moment the rod dips. You can't wait for it to happen!

As you get further down the lake, anticipation builds on your destination. A loon sounds off a few kms down the lake but you can hear the eerie echo beckoning you to see what is ahead. Now you don't even want to catch a fish. You know that a few kms down the lake is a spot where the chironimid hatch is in full swing. Now you don't even want to catch a fish trolling as it will delay your arrival at that perfect spot.

That is what Maligne does to me every time and around this time of year. The hatches are predictable and amazing. I can't imagine a better place to spend a day. If anyone here has not done this yet, highly recommend it!

Last year on the way out: