View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I havent been doing much fishing last couple years but starting to feel a bit better so maybe can start getting out more now. I went on a good trip this weekend (no kayak though), will post about it later.

I've been out in Winnipeg for work and will be out here for a while still, probably till early or mid September. I might have to do a fall trip for sturgeon once I am back.

Anchoring on the river is the one of the trickiest things to do in a kayak and have to be careful where and how you anchor. Closest I have come to flipping kayak was first time I tried anchoring in river. Dont try to anchor in fast water, make sure kayak is pointed right direction before dropping anchor, have anchor rope in such a way that it can quickly and easily be detached, buoy to hold anchor rope up when disconnecting from anchor is good but has to be larger then you might think.

I dont use anything fancy for anchoring, 5 lb grapple anchor, floating line, buoy tied in line then anchor rope through anchor trolley positioned at back of kayak and up to a tie off point for easy access where I tie a quick release not although cleats that can be released under tension arguably work better (need to be releasable say if hit by a log/tree, it happens).
If your I. Winnipeg do yourself a favour an do a trip to Lockport an catch some catfish they are unbelievably strong. I have did two trips there an plan sometime to do another.