View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Very nice. I am sure liking the new rifle too! The magpies are sure thinning out. I am thinking next year the grackles are going to be cleaned out, as well as the sparrows.

I have been trying to find out legalities on using 'moderators' on air rifles here. From what I have found, it seems there is really nothing we can use. If I am reading it right the only real quiet air rifles are the very expensive to buy PCP units. The pump guns although very effective are far louder.
I almost bought a pcp but filling them looks like a real p.i.t.a.
I was doing some reading and according to guys down south the majority of noise you hear when shooting pellet guns are from the power plant not the pellet. Spring pistons will be the worst followed by nitro pistons, my .22 pcp doesn’t bark as much as yip but I can and will shoot it without hearing protection when i’m not at a range.

If you can get someone to shoot it while you’re standing off to the side and/or better yet in a safe location down range out of harms way to actually see how much noise it makes, the argument is that these are propelled by air and travel below the speed of sound so your target shouldn’t hear much noise but I didn’t find anything as to if they do or not.

I also imagine that velocity will also make a difference in noise as when I have shot my target pistol inside it doesn’t make much noise but it’s shooting around 400 fps.