View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Negotiating an insurance claim?

Have a question about insurance...

Was in my first ever accident Christmas Eve. No one hurt which is the important thing but our suburban was written off.

I have been looking for a comparable replacement and know pretty close the current value of the car as well as what they are selling for locally. Insurance company has offered a payout which I believe is 1500-2000 lower than what I have in mind and from what I can see comparable units are listed for. I asked today to speak to an adjuster to make a case for getting a bit more than the original offer. The guy I spoke to basically said that was a take it or leave it offer and wouldn't look at the comparables that I had ready to provide. I'm not trying to screw them over I honestly can't find the same vehicle for the price they're willing to pay. Is it normal for them to not negotiate past the first offer? I get they need to protect their interests however can they just tell you what they'll pay without recourse and you are bound to take it? I've never had to deal with this so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks