View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 PM

Got out today with 2 friends for a few sets. The first 2 were blanks, then on the third, this nice female came in slowly at the 3 minute mark to about 70 yds where my friend dropped her...he just bought a new Tikka T3 .300mag for rifle season, and this was the first animal he shot with it (just bought it and sighted in on thursday), so the goal for the day was already accomplished.

On the fourth stand, we called out a double at about 13 minutes, and I was in the best spot for the shot. I dropped the closer one at about 60yds, and never got a shot at the double, and neither one of my buddies could see the second one until it was too late (the second one had hung up at about 150yds on the way in, and made it over a ridge before I could get a second shot off). Two down now!

The 4th and 5th stands of the day were both blanks, but we did spook one going into the 5th, just never got off a shot. For the 6th stand, we went to an area we had had permission on for quite some time, just had never called before. My one friend who hadn't pulled the trigger yet was on point, and me and the other guy would watch the downwind and backdoor. We knew that there were yotes in the area as we had gotten them to howl earlier. About 2 minutes after the first call, we hear the friend on point take a shot...we looked at him and got the thumbs-down, a clean miss. While we were "hand signalling" back and forth, I hadn't been watching my area, and when I turned around to take a look, there was a single female coming in HARD. I tried barking to stop her before she ran us over, but she wasn't slowing down so I took her at 20yds. Let the call keep playing and about a minute later, heard another shot from the guy on point..another miss on a double. The double swung around and started heading over in my and my other friends direction, and at 50 yds the guy I was sitting with took one of the pair...I missed the double at 70yds max (yote fever at this point I think)! That was it for action on this set.

Pretty good day for how windy it was this morning! I was using a ruger m77 .300 mag, the other buddy who got a couple was using his new Tikka .300mag, and as always the trusty FX3.