View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I would say it is the cumulative impact of all previous generations combined with the fisheries management direction over that period is what depleted fish stocks. Not Joe blow yesterday. I did a historical review of Alberta fisheries years back. I was amazed what the fishing was like...but the photos of gramps with a rake of 50 bull trout or 100 walleye explained a lot visually. That direction was a mandate to have people catch and kill fish equal or greater than the cost to get them (gas, etc). Times have changed as you noted the population is much greater.

Your theoretical calucation above should include...

Value of fish stocks (ie. there will be a difference between stocked and natural).

Limiting harvest through economic forces (ie. those that want to harvest should pay enough to limit those harvesting to the numbers of harvestable fish).

Economic impact on Alberta's economy

Last time I reviewed the various costs etc...licences did not cover the cost of the recreational activity and management thereof. BC adopted a money in fish and services out system of fisheries management. I believe they have a user group help with developing policies etc. Definitely worth looking at.
Was no walleye back then in Calgary area , no crawling valley , no pine coulee , no clear lake , ect many others , walleye were introduced later.