http://www.orphanwell.ca/about/orphan-inventory/

As of October 1, 2020, orphan inventory counts are as follows:

2538 Orphan Wells for Abandonment PDF EXCEL
270 Orphan Facilities for Decommissioning PDF EXCEL
3447 Orphan Pipeline Segments for Abandonment PDF EXCEL
3566 Orphan Sites for Reclamation PDF EXCEL
973 Orphan Reclaimed Sites PDF EXCEL
100 Orphan Sites for Reclamation Requiring Surface Equip Removal

Yes...there are some unclaimed wells and there has been an offer by government to aid in abandonment of wells caused by bankruptcy in a horrible oil and gas market made worse by the NDP in BC and Bloc preventing pipelines and the Feds driving investment away as well as crashing commodity prices over time.

To note...the industry pays a levy towards abandonments and had been increasing their contributions.

Some of the misinformation needs to be addressed. We are in unique times. Plus the Liberals needed to give SNC another freebie.
Misinformation? Orphan Wells is one thing... I’m more worried about the number of inactive wells. Over 120 000 in Alberta. Plus infinite miles of pipeline, etc. The liability that companies like CNRL, Shell, etc have is staggering. This didn’t happen overnight... can’t blame 4 years of NDP for billions in liabilities over decades. And I don’t think that any of these companies are planning on remediating any of them, unless taxpayers pony up some, or all the cash.

As an example, CNRL recently submitted a list of some of their own inactive wells In BC to receive federal funding for remediation. It was declined as they are legally required to clean up their own mess on their dime.
https://www.pipelinenewsnorth.ca/prr...nup-1.24199233

I don’t think I’m being too pessimistic to believe that schmo taxpayers like myself will be the ones footing the bill in the end, and leaving a significantly more damaged environment for my kids.

I like the letter in the original post. Once these things are gone, they are gone.