View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Just found this on a website. I haven't tried it.

There is a way to get rid of earthworms called the Hot Mustard Method. I've never had a problem with nightcrawlers, so I've never tried this method, but I hear it does work.
First you put 53 grams of hot mustard powder into a glass or plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Add 125 ml of water, 50 ml at a time stir constantly till it forms a paste which is thick, but still pourable. Add more water to get the right consistency, be sure there are no lumps, then put the lid on and let the hotness develop for at least two hours. The vapors it gives off may make your eyes burn, so mix this up in a well ventilated place.
Try using this mix in a small area first. Place a 2x2 foot square box on your lawn, then bank up soil around it so the mustard mix won't run out.
What you need next is a plastic bucket that has graduated measurements in litres. Add 3L of water. Pour in the mustard mix, cleaning out the container with a spatula. Use a whisk and stir vigorously to get rid of any lumps. Add water to the 7L mark and stir again. If left the mustard grains will settle on the bottom, so be sure to keep it stirred. Pour the mixture into a plastic sprinkling can and slowly cover the surface of the lawn with the solution and allow it to sink in. The mixture should start to work in 1-2 minutes, at which time you should begin to pick the worms and place them in a bucket, keeping them cool and damp. After 20 minutes the affect of the mustard will be gone.
Be sure you wait till the worms are totally out of the ground before you pick them or they will pull back into their hole and they will rip in half. The worms should be rinsed at least twice in clear water, then placed in a bin of ripped newspaper, vegetable scraps and a few handfuls of soil, dampened down. I would suggest putting the regular earth worms back onto another part of your lawn, so they can continue to aerate and feed it.
Good luck with those earthworms, whatever you decide to do with them. See you next week!